Twitter Deleted My Account

Woke up today and went to check out how the #dmtweetup was last night to find that my Twitter account had been deleted. Not cool, right? Apparently I have violated the Terms of Service?

It appears I was not the only one…

We’ve found that around seven accounts were accidentally suspended. They were mistakenly identified as spam; we are working to restore these accounts now.

While we have automated tools to identify spam, human review is still required before suspending accounts. Despite those safeguards, false positives can still occur and that’s what happened in this case.

I’m really sorry to those users who were affected by this mistake. We’re going to work a lot harder to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again. – Jason Goldman, via GetSatisfaction

I also got an email from Crystal Taylor from Twitter…

Hello,

I saw the thread on Satisfaction and noticed your @replies regarding your account problems. My apologies for the confusion; I’m looking into your account issues now, and I’ll be in touch with more information soon.

Thanks,
Crystal

As of this time my account still has not been re-activated.

Seriously, what kind of service blatantly deletes user accounts on a whim? If Google did that to me I’d be very pissed. Why does Twitter get to get away with it? And why is it taking so long to get my account back? With that being said – here is my new Plurk account.

More on this…

- Chris Brogan’s blog post

- @tibbon’s blog post

- FriendFeed discussion

- My Screenshot

- GetSatisfaction post

- Flickr albums of other Twitter users getting banned.

- Twitter Suspended Accounts

9 Responses to Twitter Deleted My Account

1. Dave Delaney August 2, 2008 at 7:02 am #

Sorry to see you're a victim too.

Looks like Crystal says that to all of the guys:

Please keep me posted.

Thanks

Dave

2. Andy Brudtkuhl August 2, 2008 at 1:46 pm #

Follow me @48Web on twitter now … at least til my @abrudtkuhl account gets reactivated – http://twitter.com/48Web

3. Andy Brudtkuhl August 2, 2008 at 2:15 pm #

Join me on Plurk or Identi.ca

plurk – http://plurk.com/users/abrudtkuhl
    identi.ca http://identi.ca/abrudtkuhl

Discuss your Twitter alternatives and share your urls at http://friendfeed.com/e/e0bf9bd6-e1e2-47fe-8ca4-86ceb9e10124/Join-me-on-Plurk-or-Identi-ca-cuz-twitter-sucks/

4. Mark Strangio March 4, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

I have been suspended for reasons unknown. I’ve done nothing wrong!! All of my colleagues and I are saddened and confused by this terrible injustice. There is nothing in the suspension criteria that makes any sense relatiive to my Twitter account!

And Tech Support won’t get back to me. It’s been weeks, and meanwhile I / we are in Twitter limbo.

• Andy Brudtkuhl March 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm #

Sorry to hear! Were you suspending for your activity?

5. NANCY January 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

I JUST RECEIVED AND EMAIL FROM GOOGLE TELLING ME MY ACCOUNT WAS CHOSEN TO BE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED. HOW DO I CONTACT THEM?

6. Rachel November 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

The same thing has just happened to me and I don’t know what to do ?

• abrudtkuhl December 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

I don\’t know how they handle that anymore… sorry!